Friday, February 17, 2006

Einstein or Frankenstein

Today was a very challenging Friday at school. My students are ready for the weekend and did not want to be at school. Who am I trying to fool? They are ready for the weekend on Monday. So, am I. Anyway, today was challenging.

One of my students has a bad case of "learned helplessness." He does not want to do anything. He wants someone else to do the work for him or lead him through it step by step each time. For the nine hundredth time today (a slight exaggeration) he was at my desk with a math problem for me to walk him through step by step.
I said,"We just did a problem like this."
He replied,"Nonuh, it had different numbers."
I said,"Yes, it had different numbers, but you use the same steps."
He stated with a bit of confusion,"Is that how it works? The numbers always confuse me."
I replied,"Your sounds of confusion do not fool me. I taught you this myself. I know you understand it."
"OH! The answer is 5/7", he says in a soft voice.
I exclaim,"Way to go Einstein. Have a seat and finish, please."

I watch as he quietly returns to his desk with his head down. As he was walking, I was wondering why he looked so sad.
Just as I started to speak, he asks,"Do I really look like that guy with green things sticking out of his neck?"

Needless to say the class went wild! Of course, I explained to him who Einstein was...

After a brief history lesson, he asks,"Can I buy his brain and put it in my head?"
The madness had to stop because I was losing the battle here.
I told him the brain was so old that he wouldn't want it...

"Yeah, your right. I want a young, fresh brain. Do you know anybody?" he asks.

MY DAY....

0 comments: