Thursday, January 19, 2006

NICK The Mental Giant

Brent has a Literacy Class on Wednesday nights this semester. Literacy being the key word here. If it is not bad enough that the teacher is strange, he has one of those guys in his class. You've all been there. You know, that guy that asks useless questions, make senseless comments, and generally makes an idiot of himself. Brent dreads going to this class, but I am enjoying the stories.

Last night Brent came home and shared these things with me.

Assignment: Write down a book that you have read and describe how it impacted your life. Lets all share our thoughts.

To me: Brent says, "Maybe I have a closed mind about this whole reading thing, but these people are emotional and really into the discussions. I want to just find out what I need to do and get on with it." His book, by the way, was "Lord of the Flies." His reasoning is that it is the only book he has read that doesn't deal with sports!

NICK(that guy): Describing his favorite book, My Life, by Bill Clinton....."I believe what I believe... And that book, it just concreted what I alreadys believes. I must have read it, I think three times, Man."

Discussion: While the teacher was eating her chocolate eclair ice cream on a stick she began discussing with the class different types of reading material. Her discussion was something like this: "When reading a book on how to make bowls, the information you get will describe how to make bowls. If you read a nonfiction book, then you can make alot more inferences such as different main ideas and underlying meanings."

NICK (that guy): "YEAH! I know what you mean, when I read a book about making bowls, that bowl it it just comes alive!"

Is he reading about bowls or smoking one?

If you think Brent has kept his thoughts about Nick to himself, then you are wrong. He informed his table during break: "That guy is an idiot."

Stay tuned for more amazing quotes from the mental giant we affectionately refer to as Nick.

0 comments: